Instagram has seen a staggering growth in the past few years. In December 2010 only 1 million users were using the app and now there are more than 1 billion users active on Instagram. If you are the one who is looking for creating an Instagram account, or has just created one but not sure how to use it then you have at right place. We will cover all the basics so that you can use the app without any hiccups.
What is Instagram?
Instagram is a photo and video sharing social media platform. You can easily take, edit as well as publish your content in the form of photos and videos for your followers. The followers can interact with you via likes, comments and shares.
Now a days, “Do it for the ‘gram” has become a common saying which means you do something so that it can be clicked and posted on Instagram. People are shifting from Facebook to Instagram where you can check what your friends are doing and what some of your favorite celebrities are doing.
How to Sign Up for Instagram
In order to sign up for Instagram you need to download the Instagram app on your phone and then click “sign up”. You will have the option to sign up through Facebook, with an email or a phone number. Once you have chosen a username and a password you are all set to build your profile.
Here is a step-by-step guide to sign up in Instagram. All you need to do is to follow these simple steps.
- First of all, go to Instagram website on desktop or download the app from Play Store (Android) or App Store (iPhone).
- If you are on desktop, click on “Log in with Facebook”, or you can also fill in a form with your mobile number, email address, name, username and password. After this click “Sign Up”.
- If you are on Android device, click “Sign Up wit Email or Phone Number”.
- If you are on iPhone, click “Create New Account”.
- Now enter your email address and phone number and then click “Next”. You also have the option to sign up with Facebook account on the app.
- Once you are filled the username and password areas, you will be asked to fill out your profile information. After this tap, “Done”.
- If you have chosen to register with Facebook, you will have to log into your Facebook account if you are not logged in already.
How Instagram Notifications Work?
Once your Instagram account is created you need to adjust your notifications so that you receive only what you require. For example, you can select to notify you when someone likes your content. You can also choose to notify me when you receive the likes from the ones you follow. You can also select to completely turn off the notifications of likes.
You have got the option to adjust the notifications to “OFF”, “From People I Follow”, or “From Everyone”, from the following categories Comments, Comments Likes, Followers Requests, Accepted Followers Requests, Like and Comments on Photos of You, Instagram Direct, Reminders, First Posts and Stories, View Counts, Support Requests, Product Announcements, Mentions in Bio, IGTV Video Updates, Live Videos and Video Chats.
In order to customize which notifications, you will receive then you are required to follow these steps.
- First of all go to the personal account ( you can go to your personal account by tapping on the person icon located at the bottom right of your screen). Now click on the “settings” icon (the gear icon beside “Edit Profile”).
- Now scroll down to “Push Notification Settings”.
- Here you need to check off the notifications which you want to receive.
- This is it now in the step you will learn how you can connect other social media accounts to your Instagram, so that whenever you post an image to your Instagram you can also share it with other social media platforms.
Connect to Other Social Accounts
When you will post your content on Instagram, you have the option to share it on various other social media accounts like Twitter and Facebook. In order to link your social media accounts to your Instagram you are required to follow these steps.
- First of all, go to “Settings” and then click on “Linked Accounts”.
- Now select whichever social media channels you like to link to and provide the necessary information in order to incorporate the channel with your Instagram.
How to Upload, Edit, and Post an Image
Instagram is a visual platform which means you need to upload images or videos on your timeline unlike Facebook and Twitter which relies on both text and images. In order to upload, edit and post an image on Instagram, you need to follow these steps.
- Click on the “+” icon located at the bottom center of your screen.
- Now you will have three different options. You can select something from your Photos library on your phone, you can also take a new photo from Instagram camera or you can take a new video. Here I looked through my library and selected a photo of Hunza. Then click Next located at the top right corner.
- Once selected, you will get two different categories to use for editing your image. These categories are “Filter” and “Edit”. You are shown the filters by default. You can scroll through the carousel and click on any of the filter you like. Now if you want to apply a filter but also want to tone it down then all you need to do is to double tap of the filter and move the cursor to left in order to lessen filter’s intensity.
- In the next step click “Edit”. You can adjust the brightness, saturation, contrast, structure and many more. When you are satisfied with the outcome of your edited image or if you don’t want to edit your image at all just click “Next” in the top right corner.
- In the next step you can add description, tag people and add a location. You can also click on the Facebook icon or any other linked social media account in order to share your image on that platform as well. When you are done, click “Share” located at the top right corner.
How to Follow Someone on Instagram:
Following a user on Instagram is incredibly easy. You can find your favorite celebrities, friends and brands via Search feature. You can also search “Tags” or “Places”. “Tags” comes in very handy if you know what sort of content you need to find but you are not sure who posts about it. For example, if you search #bookstagram under tags then your search will include any images with the hashtag. You can find someone who posts content you love and you can choose to follow them so their content appears on your feed.
In order to follow someone, you need to follow these simple steps.
- Click on the search icon (a magnifying glass) located at the bottom of the screen.
- Now type in the person or brand’s name. For example, you can search “Cristiano” and you will find Cristiano Ronaldo at the top in the search results. You can also tap on Tags or Places in order to search those categories.
- Once you are on someone’s account which you want to follow, you will see a blue “Follow” button at the top. For public accounts you can click and begin following that account instantly. If the account is private, you will have to wait for them to accept you first.
How to Upload a Image or Video to Your Stories
After the much popularity of Snapchat stories, Instagram also launched the Stories feature in 2016. It is a feature which lets you post videos or photos that disappear after 24-hours. Users often post casual and candid stuff as Instagram Stories in order to keep themselves updated for their followers. In order to learn how to upload an image or video to your Stories you need to follow these simple steps.
- Click on the camera icon located at the top left corner.
- Now you are in the Stories feature of Instagram, you can take a photo or video from within the app. You can also upload an image or video which is already saved in your phone. For this you need to click on the small square located at the bottom left corner.
- Now click on the photo which you like to use in your Stories.
- Once you have selected the image or video you want to post in your Stories you will notice some editing features at the top. The smiley face icon allows you add a hashtag, time, date, location, emojis and some fun images. The Pencil icon allows you to draw or handwrite something on your image. The Aa icon is the text icon which lets you add text into your story. Once selected you will have the option to change your font by tapping on “Classic” at the top.
- If you will tap on the smiley face icon then you will see the screen shown below. All you need to do is to tap on one of the icons in order to add them into your image. If you don’t like it just drag it to the bottom and you will notice that a trash can will appear so you can delete it.
- Once you have added everything that you want into your image you can swipe left or right in order to change the filter. Once you are satisfied with your content, you can either tap on the + Your Story icon located at the bottom left which will let you share your Story with everyone who follows you, or you can also select “Send To” in order to send the post to someone specific.