Have you lost your iPhone? Do you know how you can find your lost iPhone or erase the data before it falls into the wrong hands? Apple has got a new feature which is Find My iPhone which comes in handy if your iPhone is missing. It lets you view the location of your lost or stolen iPhone. It plays a sound on the phone to help you locate it or alerts other who are nearby. It also lets you mark the iPhone as lost to remotely lock it in order to protect the data. It can also erase the data on iPhone if required.
In order to activate all the functions which are mentioned above you are required to activate Find My on your iPhone.
How to activate Find My iPhone:
- First of all go to Settings.
- Now click on the Apple ID menu. This is the first tab that you will see on the setting screen located below the search bar.
- Now click on Find My option. It will be the 3rd option after iCloud and Media & Purchases.
- Now you need to click on Find My iPhone option. Toggle on the options for Find My iPhone, Find My Network and Send Last Location.
- Once you are done with it you are ready to find your iPhone in case it is missing. In order to find the location of your lost iPhone, or erase the data you are required to sign in to icloud.com/find.
How to view lost iPhone on a map:
- When you will sign on by using the above link using your Apple ID and password via any browser, it should start locating the iPhone automatically.
- Within few seconds, the location of your iPhone should appear in a map on the screen.
- If the device is located on the unknown area, readers are advised not to recover their iPhone themselves and should contact the law enforcement agencies who will ask you about the serial number or IMEI code of your device. You can find the serial number of your device by clicking here.
How to play a sound on your lost iPhone:
- Once your phone is located you will then be able to see All Devices option at the top of the map. You need to click on it.
- Now from the drop-down menu you are required to select your lost iPhone model.
- A floating box will appear on the top right corner of the screen. This should show the image of your iPhone, phone name and remaining battery etc.
- Now click on the Play Sound button. This will make your iPhone vibrate and produce a beeping sound that gets louder gradually. Irrespective of the fact that your phone is on silent mode or not. This feature comes in handy when you misplace your phone in a nearby location and you forgot where have you kept it. For finding the lost phone just follow the beeping sound.
How to mark your iPhone as lost:
For marking your iPhone as lost follow these simple steps.
- From the floating window click on the Lost Mode button.
- Now in the next step you will be asked your phone number where you can be reached. This number will be shown on your lost iPhone. You will also be asked to enter custom message that will show up on your iPhone as well. These steps are optional. The Lost Mode will lock your iPhone automatically with the passcode in order to ensure that all data is kept secure.
- Now click Done.
How to delete data on your lost iPhone:
For erasing the data from your lost iPhone follow these steps.
- Click on the Erase iPhone button from the floating window.
- A pop-up message will appear which will ask for your confirmation. Please note that allowing this will remove all the content and settings from your iPhone. An erased iPhone can not be tracked or located.
- Now click on Erase.
What are your thoughts about this article? If you want to add something you can add in the comments section below. For more tutorials, visit our How to section.